Friday, September 23, 2016

A new way with tomatoes

My daughter has dried tomatoes for years in her gas oven where she has it at the lowest setting for many hours.  This was my first attempt. I have an electric oven with a convection setting.  This is what happened in five hours.



Yesterday I used a recipe from online where you put some olive oil on it.  That did not work, just would not get crisp.  The picture on top actually is what I have to do tomorrow or Sunday.  A friend has a basket of Italian tomatos that I will pick up tomorrow. Most of these will go to daughter because she had a dismal tomato crop this year.

5 comments:

Gill - UK said...

B has grown tomatoes this year, some from seed and some from plant plugs, and she has many green tomatoes. We are still hopeful that some will ripen as we do not want to be making green tomato chutney on an industrial scale. We just need more sunshine and warmth.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh my gosh, I am so excited!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh my gosh, I am so excited!

de-I said...

My oven has a dehydrator setting and I've been doing the same thing for the second year now. I love the concentrated flavor you get when you re-hydrate them sort of like tomato paste.

alexis said...

we get the worst tomatoes on earth in the Netherlands. In the decade living here I have never, ever had a problem of abundance of fresh tomatoes. There isn't anything worth concentrating, flavor-wise.