Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Deck needs staining

My next big project is to stain the deck. I have spend several hours doing research on what is the best product to use and how to actually do it. One site lists eleven (yes 11) steps and it warns that you should not rush any of them. It seems that I will need to strip the stain on the part of the deck that still has stain on it as it has the roof over it. The remainder is quite weather bleached, but should be stripped so it all looks the same. The railings will also get stripped. After stripping, you put on something that neutralizes the stripper, then stain. And of course you have to completely rinse it after each step. When I am working close to the house siding I will need to cover it with plastic or the stripper may splash up and remove paint from the house.

The next part is what will make Gerry's jaw drop. Since labor is such a big part of this, one should get the best stain available, which translates into $$. I am guessing between $200 and $300. But I am sure that if I hired someone it would be more than that, given the amount of labor involved. Guess I will sleep on it tonight and decide if it really needs it. But I already know the answer to that. It really does. So, words of encouragement are requested.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a big job. I think it's time for Gerry to make a tool. I'm thinking several belt sanders strapped together, maybe mounted on wheels.

Gill - UK said...

Not a job for the faint-hearted.But the real bonus will be the level of physical fitness that will come with all that hard labour - no need (or time) to go to the gym.

Anonymous said...

Gack. I'm so glad I don't live close enough that I'd be expected to help. Your deck is ENORMOUS. I think it's close to the size of my whole apartment. Good luck.

alexis said...

think of how wonderful you'll feel when it's done! Get some great audio books that you only get to listen to when you're working on Project Monster Deck. The time will fly!

de-I said...

Alexis - the sort of comment made by someone who has no property to make repairs on :)

Andrew - Don't feed the beast. Now it will be another year or two before the job gets done waiting for the machine to be made since then he won't have spend all that money on expensive stain.

Anonymous said...

well, it suppose to be in 3D, can I download and watch? will it show normally?

Car GPS Tracking said...

Fabulous Post!
We offer vehicle gps tracking systems that can be hidden in your vehicle. Our GPS monitoring tracking device allows you to monitor a vehicle at all times.This is a cost-saving vehicle and assets positioning solution to track your truck or car fleet for security and logistics reasons.

Thanks
GPS Vehicle Tracking India

Vehicle Rear View System said...

Nice Post!
Rear view camera is an excellent way to keep you safe on the road. Vehicle rear view camera system is a blessing. With this camera, you can easily any kind of curbs and rails which are not so clear in the rear view mirror.

Thanks for sharing!
Rear View Camera India

Bike Tracking Solution said...

Fabulous Sharing!
The advanced bike GPS Tracking solution for protecting your bike. Our bike GPS monitoring tracking device allows you to monitor a bike at real time.Real-time bicycle positioning & tracking system.Put yourself on map.

Thanks
GPS Device for Bikes

Bhajan Sandhya Bikaner said...

Awesome Sharing!
Malhar Group has organized events like Cultural Functions for big colleges, college cultural activities, stage shows, Ramp shows, commercial Shows, Professional Shows, Product Launching Programme, Movie Shooting, Talent Hut, Charity Show for different societies, Ladies Sangeet, show, society functions.

Thanks
Party Music Planner Bikaner