Thursday, April 14, 2011

President's work

As I have previous mentioned, I am President of a local women's club. There are about 50 members. It has been in existence for maybe 25 years and many of the women have been officers or been on committees. This year when it came time to get a roster for election, I could not even get volunteers for the nominating committee. So I took it upon myself to contact every member and ask if they would take a job. The result is that I have filled every position except one.

The reason they said no when I called was 1)I have held jobs for many years or 2)I spend most of the winter months in a warmer climate. The majority of the members are retired and have been in the club a long time so it seems valid. It was interesting to call them because I have been in the club about two years and don't know many of them well. I learned about their health, family commitments and travel plans. I actually took notes for myself to know them better.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

good strategy - it's nice for the people you call if you can remember what they've said - specially if you are making lots of calls.

alexis said...

wow! Way to take initiative aunt B! I am really impressed, I often get scared of those kinds of social interactions though I couldn't tell you why. Excellent idea to take notes as well.

de-I said...

Seems like the club should initiate a policy of requiring all members to be on a committee or to be an officer. There are only 50 of you!