Sunday, February 7, 2016

Lovely week of theater and concert

It has been an interesting cultural week. At Cleveland Playhouse, The Mountaintop which was a fictional account of the last night in the life of Dr. Martin Luther King where Dr. King examines his achievements, his failures, and his unfinished dreams. Powerful and shows his humanity. Thursday we attended a concert of the Akron Steel Drum Band. Amazing the music that can be made on steel drums. This band had 20 members, the ones in Trinidad have 400. I see a trip in our future. Thirdly we went to the play, Family Happiness by Tolstoy. Even though it was written in 1859 it had current messages. I am always amazed when I attend a play how the actors can remember all the script.


This is the front of the building in Oberlin where we saw the play by Tolstoy. To get the perspective, note the steps in the front. I only had my phone to take this picture.

2 comments:

alexis said...

It always amazes me how much culture you guys find! Fun fact I used to play in a steel drum band in school - loved it. They are a nightmare to keep tuned!

de-I said...

And as a side note I'm reading a book on the Crimean War which took place in 1854-55 in which a certain Captain Tolstoy served in sided the city of Sebastapol in the Crimea. So he wrote this play only 4 years after his war experience.