Monday, January 11, 2010

Free range pig

I am sure you all remember the fabulous compost box Gerry made for me. I have three of the four sections filled with semi composted material already. The fourth section is where I throw current stuff. I had noticed that something (animal) had gotten in to it and eaten a lot. Then it snowed and I saw the footprints. It looked a lot like a pig hoof. I put a big piece of a wooden gate over it and kept my eye on it. And sure enough, one day I saw a big pig walking on top of it. He came from the same farm that had the sheep that came to enjoy my lawn when we first moved here. So the owner, Joe, and I had another chat. Actually he is always is very apologetic and tries to remedy the situation. This time the pig was due to be slaughtered in a few days so I was just helping to fatten him up a bit. I still love living in the sticks. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet that is one happy pig.

alexis said...

you'd have the same problem in the suburbs I bet, only it'd be granola muncher neighbors who were stealing your excellent compost and you'd not have recourse to having them slaughtered.

Gill - UK said...

Your just reward should be some free range pork chops.
In the UK they introduced new laws a while back and food waste from kitchens (school kitchens and works canteens etc) cannot be used to feed pigs. What a lot of waste!

de-I said...

Heck you're just supporting your next pig roast.