Sunday, November 7, 2010

I love the web site Ted.com

Today I spend a couple hours listening to speakers on Ted.com. Check it out. It's amazing how ideas I hear are applicable to situations in my life. Amy Tan was speaking about creativity and talked about how ideas or information comes to you when you need it. She didn't try to explain how or why. She also talked about a person doing something and it not turning out as you thought it might. You are to just look at your intention. (I am simplifying here)

So, here is my story. On Election Day my job as a judge was to look at everyone's ID, which in most cases was their Ohio driver's license. When I looked at one I noticed that it had expired so I mentioned it to the man. He turned red and said he had lost his job so didn't have the money. He said maybe one of his roommates could help him out. As it turns out he is a neighbor who lives four houses from me. I felt bad that I had caused him embarrassment. So today I went to his house to apologize. I was going to offer to help if he would accept. He was gracious and said it had been taken care of.

In looking at my intention I was reminded of this which I had recently read - Gloria Steinem's story, "Ask the Turtle".

1 comment:

alexis said...

I also love that site, great for when you are doing dull tasks