Thursday, November 4, 2010

Post election rant

On Tuesday I did my civic duty by working as a poll judge again. All 14 1/2 hours. Don't know where I will spend the $100 I earned. That is for the entire time. We had a high turn out. (40 to 50 %) That is sad when I type it. High should be 99%.

My biggest rant on our local elections is that we have the most archaic, convoluted methods of funding our public schools in Ohio. It comes down to a local voted levee. But of course the schools are mandated by law to provide the education but in many cases do not receive the funds because the levies do not pass. It is the only place people can have control of the taxes they pay. It is real mess.

The other thing (rant continues) I would say is "Good Luck Republicans in fixing the mess we are in!"


2 comments:

alexis said...

I applaud your civic spirit and agree - 50% turnout is awful! I am ashamed sometimes by the way American's take for granted their right to govern themselves, however messed up the system is.

de-I said...

It is very difficult to get people interested in voting when the primary information candidates provide via advertising, etc. is pure unadulterated bile, spleen, ill-will, lies, character defamation, etc.

And of course the school levy system is just another example of why a pure democracy is just not a good way to run a large organization.