Wednesday, February 15, 2012

When a sewing machine sounds like a sewing machine

When I bought my first car (a 1958 Ford) I was told it was owned by a meticulous mechanic.  It actually was in pretty good shape except for two issues.  First of all the gas gauge did not work properly.  I learned than when it ran out of gas and the gauge showed some still in it.  Secondly, it used a lot of oil.  I would know it was time to add oil when it started to sound "like a sewing machine". I mentioned to G yesterday that one of my projects was to oil my sewing machine.  He asked if it was "sounding like a sewing machine".  Well it was.  According to the manual there are about 15 places to put a drop of oil.    It was interesting seeing me with a flash light looking for these tiny spots.  Remember I can only see close up with one eye at this time.  But I got the job done.

Yesterday I sewed on a project for about 5 hours.  I took some pictures and will share it on a future blog.  It is a gift for someone so I need to give it to them first.

4 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Wow! You haven't sewn in a long time. That's cool that you did that.

alexis said...

wow, I'm excited to see the project, hope the recipient likes it very much!

Gill - UK said...

My ancient sewing machine has tiny splodges of red paint at the oiling points - someone had a good idea when the machine was designed.

de-I said...

How old is your sewing machine? I wonder if Wife's relatively new BabyLock would even allow you to oil it yourself?