Monday, November 19, 2012

Fundraisers

This last week I attended two fundraisers for charitie.   The first was for Akron Goodwill.  A friend buys a table each year and invites me.  Various restaurants serve their specialty foods which then is your meal.  There are baskets to bid on as well as a live auction.  I was the highest bidder on a basket that included tickets for many events in Akron ( orchestra art museum, sports events, etc)  The program was a vintage style show.  Apparently when people donate vintage clothing, they are saved and used for this occasion   Hair styles and accessories matched the time period of the clothing.  Of course I always think of my daughter  (who is heavy into vintage style) when I am there.

The second was a "Dancing with the Stars" with 10 couples from the community.  It was a high energy event.
There was no auction or selling of anything at this one, just a nice dinner and the competition.  Each couple had taken 8 dancing lessons.  Some were obviously new at it, but a few were quite good.  What was cool was that they contestants were local people so I know a few of them.



2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I think you'll be able to treat your family members to fun, Akron-based outings.

alexis said...

for living in the sticks, there is a lot going on in your community! And you are so involved, it's fantastic. :)

Sorry if you get my comment twice, I had an error the first time.