Sunday, June 5, 2016

17 year cicada

They have arrived or I should say, they have always been here but have now emerged from the ground where they have been for the last 17 years.  One source said there could b 1.5 million per acre.  Our woods has its fair share.  One site said the sounds of all of them is akin to a chorus of chain saws.  





The nymph which comes out of the ground  and sheds its exoskeleton. You see they clinging to branches.



The adult gradually acquires this black shell with orange veins and red eyes.


I've added this picture with my fingers to show the size.


6 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Creatures from another world...

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Creatures from another world...

alexis said...

oh man, thank you for sharing! I have such a vivid memory of them when they hatched in MD when I was a kid. I remember them being everywhere, and as big as a finger. Of course I was a lot smaller then, so that'd explain the discrepancy with my memory and your scale photo

de-I said...

Don't miss having them here

Gill - UK said...

Fabulous photos - 17 years is an incredible amount of time for such a small creature to stay underground.

Matty said...

wow, has it already been 17 years since the last time? My goodness. Did you know you can eat them? https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/if-you-cant-beat-em-eat-em