Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring has arrived (work that is)

Lawn and yard work is taking up a lot of my time. I have mowed our 3 1/2 acre lawn two times. This is our second spring here and I still have a battle with dandelions. The grass is thicker than last year, but I will spray it again. We bought a 30 gallon sprayer to pull behind the garden tractor. I don't mind a few dandelions, but when it is so thick, it crowds out the grass. So tomorrow, G and I will calculate the ratio of spray to water and how fast I should drive. If it is not raining, that will be how I spend my day.

The previous owner put some type of plastic ground cover under the mulch and then planted the day lilies. Well, the poor things only have a tiny hole to grow out of, so I have pulled that out in the front of the house.

The third project was to till an area for a garden. Next, we will put up a fence to keep the rabbits out and I can start planting.


Lest you think I am complaining, I am not. I am enjoying each and every project. Sometimes I have to be conscious of it, because there always is a LOT more to do.

I have started taking pictures of the various wild flowers in the woods, but will post pictures next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we could start working in our gardens, we just had snow again last night!
Have fun with your projects!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Podolny said...

That reminds me that we should probably be fertilizing the rock ground cover in our front yard

Bernice said...

Mike, you want larger rocks?

alexis said...

the bag of herbs I bought last week just rotted in my fridge. I will stay away from gardens!