Monday, April 7, 2008

Mardi Gras decorations


I cannot remember when I bought my first mask, but I now have quite a collection. One group is of wooden, ethnic, dark types. The second group is of ceramic, brightly colored, Mardi Gras types.
I decided to use the Mardi Gras ones to decorate the half bath, which is also the guest bathroom. The masks are hung on the walls on the back and each side of the toilet. We added the beads to give the look that each "woman" had beads around her neck.

It is difficult to get the perspective correct since it is such a small room. The walls are whiter than the pictures show also.




Since the masks are all at one end of the room, I need color to balance it at the other end, which is the sink and mirror.










The last two pictures with the beads hanging from the light are taken looking into the mirror. I am putting this out to all of you who are artistic (or even if you do not think you are) asking for suggesting as to what I should do with the sink end of the room.


In my decorating class, I learned of balance, which is lacking here with all of the color at one end. I would consider a colorful vase with bright flowers on one corner of the counter, but do not know what type of flowers go with the Mardi Gras theme. So, please help.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe a bouquet that includes big feathers, dyed in the right colors? Or just a vase?

alexis said...

The white masks on the white wall looks very stark, is my only comment. It would be great to see some of the standard mardi gras colors (purple, green) taken up on some big swath of color, like over the toilet or the shower curtain*

*disclaimer - I cannot decorate to save my life! use advice at own risk.

stef said...

Ooo. I love RM's suggestion, or a dried arrangement (maybe mixing paint and natural) in the purple gold green might be cool too

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael Podolny said...

I need to remember your Mardi Gras interest at the family reunion and throw some beads up to you.

Bernice said...

Mike, that would be a wholesome family activity!