Friday, June 13, 2008

Going to garage sales- can't help myself

If you have read SWRM's blog you know a bit about the garage sale culture in Ohio. In addition to individuals having garage sales, whole towns do it on the same weekend. A small town about 10 miles from here has a city wide garage sale every Friday and Saturday the weekend of Father's Day. The organization I volunteer with decided to join this year. A volunteer lives in the town and offered his garage and driveway. Being the person who owns trailers of various sizes and who always offers them, I was involved. On Thursday I loaded five tables on which to display the items as well as a dresser and many boxes.

But lest you are feeling sorry for me, after I helped set up on Thursday, I only volunteered to help on Saturday afternoon. Today, which was the first day of the sale, I walked around in the very hot sun and found bargains for me: Seven 7 nice water glasses for $1.50 to use for the wedding reception in MD, a carpet shampoo machine for $20 ( it was 1 year old), an eight foot table (also for upcoming events at our house), videos of Pride and Prejudice, and two children's books. You can ask me in a few months if I have watched the videos or shampooed my carpet. I do have good intentions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our town-wide garage sale is coming up next weekend. I hope I find as many bargains as you did.

alexis said...

I miss garage saling! Though I think my closet space has improved from its absence.

stef said...

hee hee. I have yet to start in on this particular family madness. But who knows? The summer is young...

Michael Podolny said...

Good for you...the Sticks can always use more stuff :)