Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gardening in between showers

Here in "the sticks" as well as most of the US it doesn't seem to stop raining. The farmers here barely got the crops in because of how wet it was. In a weeks time our weather forecast is "isolated or scattered thunder showers" five out of seven days. I am lucky to get the lawn mowed.

So now I go out between showers to work on a flower bed, weed part of a corn row, or plant a shrub or perennial that I have purchased. At the local produce auction, which is mainly wholesale produce (which means large quantities), people occasionally bring a small shrub or tree. I have purchased several for between $3 and $6 each, which is about one fourth of what I would pay at a nursery. Of course the challenge then is to find the appropriate spot for each thing. When I am at the auction, I see something I like but do not have time there to think of where it will be planted.

A friend, who is a Master Gardener, was over on Wednesday. After lunch when we were walking around the yard, she noticed some plants just sitting the the pots they came in. She asked for gloves and we found spots for them, dug the holes and planted. This has encouraged me to keep going. She and other gardeners always say to just plant it and if you don't like where it is, it can be moved. I tend to think I need the perfect plan first. But I am changing my thinking and I have something to show for it.

Today I worked on the area out at the end of the drive way. Here is one before and two after pictures and about five hours of work. These beautiful rocks were here when we came. What a gift.














4 comments:

stef said...

Wow. That looks great. I certainly never would have thought to do that. Very inventive use of what is already there!

Anonymous said...

That looks terrific. Your changes really show off the beauty of the rocks.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see it all on the
11th!

Gloria

Michael Podolny said...

I agree with all the above - what a neat rock! And right there all along.