Sunday, June 15, 2008

Strawberries

Here, in the sticks, we have a wholesale produce auction three evenings a week. I enjoy going there, but the problem is that they sell in rather large quantities. The fresh produce they sell is grown by the local Amish farmers. Now is strawberry season. I usually go to a pick it yourself place, but decided to just buy some at the auction. Well, the smallest quantity I could get was three flats (24 quarts). So I came home with that. In the last few days, I have made four pies (gave away three), froze some without sugar, some with, and made two batches of frozen jam. Freezing without sugar is new for me. I read several sites on line which said you can put them on a cookie sheet in one layer, freeze them, then package in a plastic bag. I think these will make terrific margaritas.

Besides the regular job of keeping the lawn mowed, I have been tilling for a perennial garden, weeding, and mulching. We also have a rather large area planted in sweet corn. It is four rows 150 feet long. The man who rents our other fields plants it for us each year. But we get to weed it. Tonight G tilled between the rows, but I still need to weed the rest. The weather has cooperated in that it has been comfortable working outdoors. But at the end of the day, I am quite tired.

5 comments:

stef said...

That is a LOT of strawberries! What about jam? Please post pics of your gardens when you get a chance. Will there be any corn in time for the reunion? I can't believe it's almost here!

Anonymous said...

You can take the woman out of the farm, but she just keeps going back...

Michael Podolny said...

That is one thing I miss being here in the Southwest, the lack of substantial berry farms. I remember doing the same thing in Maryland when we'd go out and pick 15-20 pounds, eat them all in a week or so. Then go back again for another load that we would freeze.

Bernice said...

No corn by July. Who knows if there will be any by August 16th.

alexis said...

wow, you both must be getting very strong and sunned from all the outdoor living! I bet your health is benefiting tremendously!