Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Greetings from Minnesota

My vacation is going great. The first day I drove 500 miles, before stopping for the night near Madison, WI. The second leg was only 350 miles. It is a great time of the year to be seeing the countryside. I really notice the black soil in Minnesota. Ours is orangish clay. The leaves are now completely out so are a beautiful bright green.



While driving I listened to one book on tape, the one about the five people you meet in heaven. I did not think it was particularily inspiring or thought provoking. G lent me his XM, which gave lots of choices. But I do enjoy just driving in silence.



My brother's party was a great success. There were 50-75 guests which included all of my brothers and sisters so there was a lot of catching up to do. I also observed how my sister in law pulled it off, since I am having the two big events at my house this summer. There are no photos this time since I am posting from the public library.

6 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

I think there is lots to be said for solitude and quiet. Glad you had such a good time. Drive safely on the way back.

Anonymous said...

Wait a sec! Black soil in MN?! Well, I suppose it could just be BP that has sand then clay...

Anyways glad everything is going well!

Anonymous said...

Oops, hit the wrong thinggy there..

Anonymous said...

Say hi to the rellies for me!

alexis said...

I can genuinely say I miss those occasional, epic road trips across America, where you see nothing but land for miles and miles. Europe is jam packed with folks and crap, they are not a continent familiar with the serenity of solitude.

stef said...

How nice that you get to be part of an event like this as a participant first. I bet it gave you loads of ideas. We are so looking forward to attending those events! :)