Thursday, May 29, 2008

Road trip to Minnesota

My brother, Ed, is retiring from his job as manager with the street department with the city of Mankato, Minnesota. There is a party in his honor on the 31st, so I decided to attend. I also want to see other family, especially Mom. She is 87 and still lives alone in an apartment.

Yesterday I did the necessary chores that needed to get done: Mowed the lawn, planted garden and perennials, and of course packed. Our soil is rock hard clay so the plants will be struggling. Now that I have a permanent location for the garden and some flowers, I can start amending the soil. The best thing to add is well rotted horse manure. We have several neighbors with horses, so I should go meet them and ask if I can have some.

I am taking two days to drive the 1000 miles. I have DH's XM radio and several books on CDs.
I don't mind quiet time either. On the way back, I will visit friends in Kankakee, IL for two days. I will post when I have access to the internet.

3 comments:

stef said...

what, and no stop in Chicago? :)

Michael Podolny said...

...the smell of rotting horse manure - should add a nice touch to the reunion :)

alexis said...

wow, your chore list sounds like my List Of Impossible Tasks. I will miss seeing your lovely works at the reunion this summer!