Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Friends

For the last couple of years I have met for breakfast with three or four friends. Recently, I have returned home asking myself, "why did I go?". They have a pattern of spending the entire 1-1/2 hours talking about people I do not even know. These people are not even their family or close friends but other people from the church or community. And of course it is about the problems these people have: with the law, with their jobs, with their families, or in school.

So on Tuesday, I told them I may not be meeting with them any more. I explained that I was hoping that we would become close enough friends that we could talk about our lives, ideas, etc. I also said that if they needed to talk about these people that was ok. (I was trying real hard not to judge, because it I know it may fill a need for them.) None of them said we will try to change and would really like you to continue coming. But then, I just sprang it on them and they may need time to think about it. So we will see where it leads.

Last night G asked if I was going back. I don't feel that I need to decide that now. Whatever happens is what is supposed to. This whole situation is teaching me a lot about myself so it is great. I don't mean for this to sound like a downer at all. It is not for me. It may be time for me to go in some other direction. We'll see.

3 comments:

alexis said...

auntie, it sounds like this is scraping the surface of some other deeper questions. I hope the soul searching turns up some good results!

Michael Podolny said...

B - I think you are to be commended for being forthright. It is so easy to get caught up into relationships that really are one sided - and lots of people I've found are perfectly happy with that - especially if they are the side that is being served.

stef said...

Aunt B- I feel like there is some back story I am missing here...

But good for you for being honest with yourself and them. We all change!