Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blueberries and Basil

We have a "Pick it your self" blueberry farm about 10 miles from our house. In the last three days I have picked each day. I invited two neighbor women to go along. I now have frozen about 20 quarts of blueberries and will make a pie today for G's birthday. I enjoy the berries on my cereal almost every day. They are extremely easy to freeze. Just spread out a single layer on a cookie sheet, freeze, and then put in a freezer bag. To use just scoop out a few, rinse off and eat. I won't make any promises, but there may be some for the reunion (fresh).

Last night I went to our local produce auction. There were two flats of basil plants. I had started mine from seed and they are about one inch tall. These were about one foot. As I might have mentioned in the past, when you bid, you have to take the whole quantity they have put together. So for $9 I am the proud owner of two flats (36 plants each)!!! I was unsure how one foot plants would transplant, but we will see. I plan to make and freeze pesto for daughter and son-in-law (soon to be) and a couple of her friends.

4 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

Well in a couple of months we'll have all you can pick prickly pear cactus fruit

Bernice said...

Mike,I noticed that you can make jams and smoothies with the fruit. Can you make wine out of it?

Michael Podolny said...

In fact you can. Here's the link

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/prickly.asp

If only I had known - I could have started last year so we would have been in stock for the reunion :)

stef said...

Good lord that is going to be a lot of pesto!