Saturday, July 26, 2008

My own space

As all of you know, DH has a very large shop for all of his wonderful possessions. I would add that a bit has spilled over into the basement. I believe there are car parts and part of an ultralight airplane down there. I have been campaigning for a small corner for my gardening things, like hoes, shovels, rakes and potting soil. Well, it has been hard to come by in the shop.

But the Universe had me in mind even though I did not specifically ask for this. Today there was an auction a couple miles from our house. I decided to attend just to learn what goes on in "the sticks." Apparently the people had built a new house next to their old one, and are going to demolish the old one. So everything was for sale. Seriously, they sold sinks, all bathroom fixtures, even the electrical outlets in the walls. Anything you bought you are responsible to take down from the house. They just wrote on the walls with magic marker the things that were for sale in the room.


In case you cannot read this, it says: whole house switches and outlets, hanging light fixture, ceiling lights, sink and faucet, garbage disposal, etc.


I was the highest bidder on a 10 x 16 foot wood barn, which is about the size of a one car garage. It looked like it was in good condition. A couple men there told me I got a really good deal. A new one is $2500. I paid $300. Of course now we (DH and I ) have to figure out how to move it in one piece to our property. I forgot to mention that DH was not with me. He is at a motorcycle event for three days.

Lest you think that is all I got, I also am a proud owner of a garage door for a double garage including the garage opener for only $5. My guess is that most of the readers of this blog are not getting real excited about the garage door. But I am sure DH will find a use for it. And again he (we) have to take it out of their garage. Looks like some good blog material for the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alexis said...

you guys are the most clever, crafty people I know. It's wonderful you have space and time to do this!

Michael Podolny said...

Bernice you have taken the 'guess what I did spouse' card to a new level. I can't wait to hear his response to the "honey, you don't mind moving this garage I bought to our place do you?"

stef said...

Too funny. You are the only person I can think of who would buy a building at a garage sale!