Saturday, December 13, 2008

Looking at other people's decorated houses

For two weekends now I have gone on Holiday home tours. These are inside the house, in case you worry about me walking around in the cold. These ten houses were decorated for the holidays and opened as a fund raiser for charities. In most cases, I enjoyed looking at the architecture and interior design in the house more that the decorations. Today I saw one house built in 1832 and another in 1831. In one they found a tunnel in the basement which was probably used as part of the Underground Railroad. The owners of these old homes have been careful to keep as much of the original part as possible. It was interesting to see how they updated but still have the hand- hewn beams in the rooms.

So now that I have seen what others have done, I need to get my act together. This year it has been hard for me to get motivated with our decorations. Having said that, I will get going.

2 comments:

alexis said...

wow, how lovely! I miss the lights, we don't get as much of that kind of thing here.

Michael Podolny said...

That's a really cool idea.

I don't know how it is in other parts of the country, Alexis, but the current economics have caused the amount of lights being put out in our area to be dramatically reduced.