Saturday, December 6, 2008

Muffins-My comfort food

I guess my comfort food is making and eating muffins. Whenever I have spare time, that is what I bake. DH sometimes takes two with him to eat as he drives to work in the morning. His very favorite is called Kona Inn banana muffins. Since I could not find the recipe on line to put a link here I will give the entire recipe:

1/2 c shortening
1 1/4 c flour
5 very ripe medium bananas
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set rack in lower middle. Line two muffins tins with liners or smear with shortening and flour.

Peal banana and put in bowl. Beat with electric mixer for a couple of minutes. Set aside. (The riper the bananas the smoother the finished product)

In another bowl, combine flour, soda, salt.

Add sugar, shortening, and eggs to bananas. Beat together. Stir in walnuts. Add flour mixture and stir until blended.

Pour into muffin pans and bake for 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick and if not done, add a couple minutes. (up to 5) When toothpick comes out clean, remove from oven.


These are very moist. When I have bananas that are old, I freeze them and then thaw, peal, and use in this recipe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds great - and very banana-y compared to other banana bread recipes. I'm going to have to try this.

alexis said...

I just rediscoved muffins! They are lovely, aren't they?

Michael Podolny said...

And any baked good with bananas is...well great.

stef said...

I recently started using a banana bread recipe very similar to this. I have a bunch of bananas rotting away on my counter that I will freeze as you suggested until I have time to try this!