Thursday, December 4, 2008

Not my favorite job

Having spent the Thanksgiving weekend giving moral support to DH with the insulating project and then giving the same moral support as he put the motorcycles to bed for the winter (which involved putting some kind of gas stabilizer in the gas tanks, running the engines, then driving them into the lean to) my desk was calling loudly for some help.

So today I sorted through mail and the mountain of papers that had accumulated. It was not just a matter of filing or paying a bill. These were things that needed research and then decisions. For example I compared the perks of two credit cards that we have. One gives us 1 or 2 % back on each purchase depending on what it is for. The other gives us miles for airfare. As it turns out, it is better to use the first one and just buy the airline ticket.

The other financial thing I worked on was finding an amortization schedule that would show me how many years we have yet to pay on the loan. We started out with a 15 year, but have put one lump sum on it and then added another monthly amount. It was sort of a backwards amortization schedule. I was able to find a calculator on line for this. Sometimes I just don't know what to call things when trying to find them on line. I know you can find everything there, but just what do you call things.

I am trying to be on top of things so we are not wasting money. Would a money manager say this is a good use of my time? I guess it depends on how much I actually saved.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I envy you the time to make those decisions! I have a hard time getting my lazy bum to use free time to do them, but I do believe they make a better quality of life.

Michael Podolny said...

A money manager would tell you that this is a very good use of your time. Little things can add up. However, don't get obsessed and be aware of spending a lot of time analyzing things that don't add up to meaningful dollar differences.