Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I let this one go

When our children were young their father told them that as parents we were like a big ship in the ocean. They were like a small boat being towed behind us. We would occasionally throw "care packages" to them. The packages were the advice for living that we were giving them. Sometimes they would let the package drift away and other times they would grab it.

I was reminded of this today when working on a project. I am screwing down the subflooring in the bathroom and two closets. I had watched Gerry so I knew how to adjust the torque, charge the batteries and figure out where the joists were under the subflooring that I needed to screw into. However, I did not pay attention to how he removed the bit from the drill. I wore one down and could not figure out how to put a new one in. Guess I let that "care package" drift by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten about that parenting analogy. It's a nice one.

alexis said...

I LOVE that analogy!! Very true.

de-I said...

Well spoken little boats.