Tuesday, June 29, 2010

NYC visit

I just returned from spending four days in New York City. A friend organized the trip for me and eight other women. I had met two of them before this. Where to start? Maybe with my three favorite events. I saw the production of "Wicked". I thought it was on par with "Phantom of the Opera" Loved it, especially the surprise ending. Loved the story itself, the actors voices, the special effects, etc. Secondly we had a three hour food tasting and cultural walking tour of Chelsea Market and the Meatpacking district. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the area. Thirdly was my walk in Central Park. Stopped in "Strawberry Fields" and listened to a group playing Beatles songs. Strawberry Fields is a part of the park dedicated to John Lennon. It is just across the street from the place he was killed.

Of course we were in the midst of the waves of people on the streets, unending streams of yellow cabs, and persistent street vendors. It was Gay Pride Week and the soccer games were going on so that added interest to everything. It all was such a contrast to "the sticks" but I loved it.
Some pictures will follow, I promise.

2 comments:

alexis said...

sounds wonderful!! I for one can't wait to see the pictures. NYC is a place that is great to visit but I am not sure I'd like to live there.

de-I said...

Gosh, I haven't been to NYC since the 80's. Sounds like lots of fun.