Sunday, July 11, 2010

Involved in my community

Gerry and I joined a local organization, Ruritans. Yesterday I worked at their flea market serving food. This is a service, good will community organization. It is a great way to meet people in the area, many who have lived here their entire life. I had been talking with one man for a while when a young Amish man walked by. I spoke with him about the Corn Hole game he had been playing. The man I had been talking with asked if I knew the Amish man. When I said no, he made a comment about me as a "lady" talking with someone I did not know, like he thought it was not safe. I should have told him of the homes I went into as a Social Worker. And those were people who were not happy to have me there. Interesting.

The only thing I bought were 3 pints of fresh raspberries from an Amish vendor. At $2 a pint it was a good deal.

Gerry is spending 3 days at a motorcycle race, swap meet. He actually took three bikes to try to sell them. Those of you who know him, realize what a historical moment this is. You also know it is one down and how many more to go?

4 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

But the big question is - how many bikes did he sell?

alexis said...

I was thinking, how many more did he buy?

Gloria said...

Times have changed, haven't they! It's great to get local produce. I just signed up with our local group, Los Poblanos Organics farmers market. The weekly basket is supposed to have enough for a family of 4. So I am sharing with a neighbor. The price is not as good as yours - $28 a week. Way to go Gerry. You will have to encourage him in this trend!

de-I said...

I would have thought he ended up buying one as Alexis said.