Saturday, November 15, 2014

Book Club

Book club met at my house on Monday.  There were 18 members here.  My responsibility was to have enough room for them to sit and provide refreshments.  I made tortilla roll sandwiches and a pumpkin cake roll which has a cream cheese filling.  At the end of the meeting I offered to cut fresh herbs for anyone who wanted some. I know a killing frost would be here any day and there still were a lot out there.

The book we discussed was Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior. I found it an interesting read, others felt it was too wordy.  What interested me was the interaction between a young women from the hills of Tennessee and scientists who were there to study the Monarch butterflies.  Besides the plight of the butterflies due to global warming, it showed how people are sort of locked into their ways of thinking if they are not exposed to the outside world.

3 comments:

Gill - UK said...

Sounds a good book choice -I'll suggest that we try this book, next month when I go to my book club. We meet in the local library and there are ten of us - and we don't get cakes or sandwiches.

alexis said...

I like your spiral food theme for the book club!

de-I said...

What did they mean by "too wordy"? Aren't books supposed to have lots of words?