Monday, March 5, 2018

13 of 365 One hand only


When a friend broke her right arm she suggested I try using my non-dominate arm as she was doing.  When I polish my nails I find they turn out much better if I do one hand, let it dry completely and then do the other. Today I recalled what my friend had suggested and took the challenge to try it. 

To open the cheese package I tried using the scissor.   Hopefully they make a left handed  scissors as I had to use a knife holding it against the counter top. Next was cutting the cheese then putting it in a plastic bag and closing it with a twist tie. That was not easy either.

I wanted to take a photo of the hand I was not using. Holding it against my body I could not look thru the view finder. So I just took several until I got one that worked.  Then removing the memory card and putting it in computer,  and downloading it so I could post it here. Finally typing this is frustrating in that I need to look at the keyboard for all the letters I would normally type with my right hand.

I have seen people who have had strokes using only one hand. They have my admiration for the things they do. Like traveling  alone by air. 

3 comments:

alexis said...

I think only some crazy small percentage of humanity (8%?) is ambidextrous. Otherwise you have to train your hand muscles to learn those things.

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I can imagine learning to do it, because I learned how to type on a Dvorak keyboard. But I frequently wanted to chew my hand off in frustration, so learning to rewire your brain is not recommended for everyone.

Gill - UK said...

I think you enjoy a challenge - one handed is difficult enough without it being your non-dominant hand.
RM - could you type Qwerty now?