Saturday, September 26, 2009

AAUW and Virginia Woolf

I have officially become a member of AAUW which is American Association of University Women.
At the Thursday night meeting we had a speaker who is passionate about the British author, Virgina Woolf. She spoke and showed pictures of a tour she took in Great Britain, showing locations where Virginia lived or wrote about. I have not read the works of Virginia, but found a website, Project Gutenberg, which has books on line. I have just read one essay so far. In this one about a spot on the wall, she went off on all kinds of thoughts that were unrelated, but that the spot cause her to think about. The speaker said she has to read many of them five or more times to really understand and get everything that Woolf writes. (I'll make a note of this and see if I find time in Winter to read some of her works.)

I wonder how popular her writings are in Great Britain? Have any readers read her works? Seen any movies of her stories?

I'll talk more about the mission of AAUW as I learn about the organization.

No comments: