Sunday, November 22, 2009

End of an Era

On Friday I attended a Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast for the non profit I have worked with for 10 -yes 10- years. I have resigned from the Board of Directors and as chair of two committees. What am I going to do with my time?? Anyway, they chose me as Volunteer of the Year. I really was honored. But I know I am just one cog in the wheel, lots of people have given their time and skills to make it the strong organization that it is.

This weekend DH and I worked on a sturdy shelf that he is building in his shop which will hold several motorcycles. Pictures will follow when it is complete. Yesterday we retrieved all the boxes of Christmas decorations from the attic. Today we put the lights up on the front porch. Then I will start with the indoor trees. Last year I was so late getting them up that it hardly seemed worth the effort.


My Christmas Cacti are in full bloom. Guess I will rename them Thanksgiving Cactus.
The picture on the wall behind the plant is an oil painting by Gerry's uncle Rudy who started painting after he retired. He now is in his 90s.




3 comments:

alexis said...

oh what lovely flowers. what organization did you volunteer with - 10 years is really laudable!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again, Mom!

I love seeing the pictures of the Christmas cactus blooming. Since you had those plants the whole time I was growing up, I very much associate them with you.

Bernice said...

The organization is called Faith in Action Medina County Caregivers. I helped start it 10 years ago. It is a legal not for profit. I have been on the board and on committees every year except one. They now have volunteers who help the elderly (primary service is transportation).
Last year they gave 13000 hours of volunteer time. Volunteers are from churches and other groups and just individuals not associated with any group