Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dinner party season

I decided I should post before things get really crazy here.  I have scheduled my (our) first dinner party of the season for Saturday with 12 guests.  The next one is a week later for 14 and then I am hoping to have one the Monday after Christmas for which RM has agreed to cook. The first is the craziest because I am putting up all the decorations, which includes three trees, cleaning  the house and of course doing all the cooking for the dinner.

Yesterday I discovered I have a holiday dinner tomorrow where I am to bring a dish to share.   It is to be one from my ethnicity.  That is German and we did not do a lot of formal entertaining so I was at a loss.  Finally I chose a German chocolate cake.  If it is a hit,I will make another for the dinner here on Saturday.  In looking up the background of the German chocolate cake I found that it is not even from Germany (is from Austria).  But I am not telling anyone that.  I will try to get a few pictures of the dinners at our house to share.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, Wikipedia says it's an American cake, named after the man who created a brand of dark baking chocolate. His name was Sam German.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_chocolate_cake

alexis said...

goodness, a cake shrouded in mystery. Where did it come from. I think it is a good fit for your heritage though. All Americans, going back far enough, came from somewhere else. If the original got a little muddled along the way I'd say that is to be expected.

Michael Podolny said...

Pah German-Austrian-American.

It's Goertzenonian