Saturday, December 8, 2007

"Fly Lady" needed

If the police were to walk through our house today, they would file a report that someone had broken in and trashed it. The front door was minus one piece of glass, the kitchen shelving stacked against the wall, everything has been removed from the two pantries and is in piles all over the kitchen and dinning room floors, the office is filled with boxes that have been pulled out of the attic and the back entry is packed with boxes of tools, a ladder, and other materials. All this is evidence of something going on. It is not a burglary, but several projects that we are working on all at once.

Actually before we moved in, someone did try to break in, but only managed to break half of the glass in the door, before our neighbor called the sheriff. I ordered a new oval glass and we installed it today. DH and I are putting two inch polystyrene on the walls in the attic and basement. We are adding shelves to the pantries.

What does this have to do with "Fly Lady"? I had subscribed to her yahoo group for a few months and learned some techniques for getting a handle on clutter and household tasks. (I had trouble dis-enrolling so had hundreds of emails from her, but that is another story. It was ironic that I had a very cluttered inbox.) Anyway, one technique I learned was to set a timer for 15 minutes and work in one room. When 15 minutes are up you set it again and go to another room. After three 15 minutes periods of work, you are to give yourself 15 minutes to do something you enjoy. So I am going to use that routine today.

4 comments:

stef said...

I am interested to see if that technique works or if it's just frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would make it back to work after my 15 minute break!

Anonymous said...

I hope the idea works for you! I personally prefer to get one thing done at at time, but then again it takes me awhile to 'get into the right cleaning mood', the only time I choose to clean!

Michael Podolny said...

I don't know your description of your house is the way it always seems to be.