Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Julia Child, how I love you (sometimes)

Last night I decided to make seafood crepes from Julia Child's cookbook. Now, I know this is a no brainer for Styling with RM and de-I, but it was a challenge for me. When DH walked in the door, I told him dinner would be at least an hour away and I was already one hour into preparations. So let me describe the process.

Julia's recipe for cheese sauce is backward from Betty Crocker, or maybe BC is backward from Julia. Julia does a lot of "dribbling" instead of just pouring the liquids in all at once. When I made the crepe batter, I discovered it was supposed to set for at least an hour. (Guess I should have read through the recipe first, duh.) Instead of browning the onions, you "sweat" them in liquid. Since I had not made crepes for a long time, I had to reread the instructions on the actual cooking technique a couple of times.

The meal was a success. And I learned several techniques (dribbling, sweating, and making the crepes). Oh, and I will add, I spoke to RM earlier asking what to serve as a side dish. We decided on homemade apple sauce, which I also made. In looking back, two hours was not bad for all that. And there is enough leftovers for another whole meal.

Tonight I am making a tried and true Chicken Marsala.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mom, expanding the culinary horizons!

Michael Podolny said...

I consistently use JC's first book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I find that its emphasis on technique provides the best foundation and always brings great results. It reminds one that good cooking is more about how we do things rather than what is dumped into what we do.

alexis said...

got your xmas card today - looks lovely! No reference to Julia child in there tho :)

stef said...

Sounds yummers!