Monday, December 17, 2007

The preparations continue

The holiday letters have all been sent. As I think about the letters, it seems that one of the negative aspects is that there is not a lot of two way communication with most people. However, a friend (fellow motor cross rider of DH's in Oklahoma) emailed and said he would like to come visit sometime. So that is a great outcome of sending the letter. Today I called a nephew to get his mailing address and had a great conversation with him. Again, not something I would have done if not for the letter. That encourages me to continue with the tradition. I am toying with the idea of sending it by email next year. What do my readers think?

So now I am on to decorating the tree. I think that it looks the same each year,which is not a surprise since I have the same tree and same ornaments each year. I have been reading on how to do a "decorator tree" and I am going to try it. Guess it will be accomplished in stages. Today our seven foot tree has about 700 tiny white lights on it. Next I will make 7 to 9 decorative sprays with artificial poinsettia flower, greenery and a gold ball. Instead of describing it, now I will take some pictures and post the when I am finished.

3 comments:

Michael Podolny said...

A decorator tree? That sounds awesome.

alexis said...

while I do like talking to you, I don't miss the awkward once a year telephone call to relatives when we do the gift exchange. The reunions are much better. Even if they are thousands of miles from me. Sure we don't want to have it in Amsterdam this year?

stef said...

i forgot to mention when I talked to you last night how much I loved the letter!
Emailing it is an interesting idea. On the one hand, it could prompt more responses as it's pretty easy for people to hit "reply". On the other hand, there is something more homey, traditional and rare about the snail mail