Thursday, January 31, 2008

Colorful Arizona





On Monday after the wedding, G, S and I toured Taliesin, the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture. He lived there before he died, and the school is still going. I am always amazed when I see his buildings, but it is not my style, so I don't come away with a lot of ideas. He designed the building to fit in with the desert surroundings.
G and I visited the Desert Botanical Garden, which was filled with giant cacti. G was impressed with the amount of water one large cactus can contain (thousands of gallons). I would have liked to see them in bloom. The plants and landscapes are so different than Ohio, so we really enjoyed it. I am sure it is old hat to those of you reading from NM.











We spent many hours driving in the mountains, going around tight switch backs, which G loved. He would have been happier in a sports car instead of the rented PT Cruiser, however.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your senic picture is awesome! It reminds me of the Badlands, SD that we've passed through before.

Anonymous said...

Frank Loyd Wright moved from Taliesin in Wisconsin to build Taliesin West in Arizona when he was 70, building a school and designing for another twenty years. Gives us all something to live up to.

As I remember the garden tour, the Saguaros cactus can hold up to 6000 pounds of water. The "skin" is accordian shape and expands when water is available.

Michael Podolny said...

Nice pictures B!

alexis said...

yes, gorgeous - I really thing the SW of the US is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Too bad it is so dull there. :P

stef said...

Oh I would love to visit Taliesin (west). I am with you in that FLW is not my favorite architecht 9we certainly have plenty of his work around here!) But i think he was a fascinating person with a tragic and interesting life.