Monday, January 14, 2008

Follow up on weekend

I was exhausted. Cleaned for a full day, cooked like crazy for a day (of course, I could have made something less labor intensive than 100 tiny meat balls, and a chicken breast roll up where you pound the life out of it to 1/4 inch, oh, I guess it was not still alive), then was a good hostess, and finally had a day of clean up. All in all the reports that came back were positive, even from the bikers. We have enough left overs and wine for three days, so all is not lost.

Today, in between laundry loads, my primary task has been to sort mail and bills, and clean out my email inbox which had well over 100 emails in it. Cleaning it out included unsubscribing to several.

Saturday, while G was hosting the biker's planning party, I attended the annual planning retreat for the board of directors for Faith in Action, the not for profit that I have been involved with for 8 years now. My primary focus for the last three years has been to build a strong, diversified and committed board. I think I succeeded as we now have eleven great people on the board. Our retreat was one of looking at our goals from last year and talking about which ones we met and if we did not meet them, why. One thing we learned was that we had goals that were too broad and too many of them. The new goals that we chose for 2008 are realistic, specific and measurable. We now have a better vision of where we are going and what each of us needs to do. Each board member chooses one committee to work on. I am on the one that recruits new volunteers. I won't go into any more details, so as to not bore you. Maybe on another post.

3 comments:

stef said...

AB- yes another post on the board. I find it very interesting. A friend of mine had a non-profit for a while and they had trouble with their board. So I have a frame of reference.

Anonymous said...

I looked up Faith in Action and had thousands of references to choose from, so I would like to hear more from you about this commitment.

Michael Podolny said...

I hope all those bikers are appreciative enough to take you out for dinner once in a while.