Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Weather changes in one week















On January 1st we drove home from Illinois. The snow was beautiful to the eyes, but not as wonderful for the car driver. The pictures were taken through the car window as we drove through Indiana. It was snowy at our house, but the trees were not covered like they were in Indiana.

In comparison, the temperature has been 60 degrees for the last two days at our house. I walked in the woods both days. It made me feel like spring is here, although I know that is just wishful thinking. But days like this make me feel hopeful. I am already taking note of how we have an extra minute or two of sun light each day.

Two red tail hawks were circling above each day. They have a most eerie sound. Since it is still bow hunting season for deer, I wear a bright orange vest. No one has asked for permission to hunt on our property, but I don't want to take chances.

















I was happy to find little bits of color in the woods. We do not really have a creek, this is just an area of run off when it rains. I love the lichen. And the purple twigs give such a splash of color.

9 comments:

alexis said...

oh wow that's a crazy color. You're sure that's not spray paint from a hippy?

Anonymous said...

Were those sticks by any chance raspberry or blackberry? I would have loved to hear the red tailed hawks- you are soo lucky to have a wood!

stef said...

AB, how beautiful! It's back down to 40 for us today. It was nice while it lasted though wasn't it?

Anonymous said...

I love the 3rd picture - It almost looks like sea shells.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - that was the forth picture. Maybe I'll make it my resolution to learn how to count this year!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Mom. It's nice to see you enjoying your life in the country.

Anonymous said...

The photos are truly beautiful. Have you thought about using the snow scenes to make your own Christmas Cards?

Bernice said...

Openmeadow, I think the sticks are wild blackberry.

Michael Podolny said...

It's really so neat that you have that wonderful woods to tromp around in.

Tell the deer hunters you can roast their whole animal for them right on sight.

The snow - you can keep that.