Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mr. Fix Everything

Those of you who have spouses or significant others who do not think they can fix anything in the world may want to count your blessings. Actually it is good and bad. Case in point: we have two hot water heaters in our house. I am not sure why, but the explanation was that one was just for the whirl pool tub in the master bed room and for the laundry room. The one that covers the rest of the house has been not working properly. So DH, with me by his side, spent all day Saturday and Sunday and now several evenings "fixing" it. We first drained each one and replaced a couple tubes that go in from the top. Then he worked on the problem that appears to be in the electronics. He drew out all the electronic schematics and done a lot of testing of the circuit. In the mean time I have to go down in the basement and hook two wires together every time I want the hot water heater to go on and then take them apart when the water is hot. But the good part so far is that it has not cost us any money. :) He looks at it as an education on how things work. We do still have hot water so I am grateful for that. And I have a DH who definitely makes life interesting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that it as a mixed blessing, although I tend towards the blessing part. I think I have it better than you and Dad, because by virtue of not living as long as you, my stuff is generally less old, and therefore breaks less often.

stef said...

What i want to know is: what happens when the fixing person gets frustrated?

Bernice said...

Stef, when the fixing person gets frustrated, I go to another part of the house so as to not hear the @#*.
But he is not one to give up.

alexis said...

the trade off is paying all that money and hoping you can trust someone to do the work for you well. I don't like being ignorant but when it comes to fixing things I have no choice.

Michael Podolny said...

Being one who hs used incompetence as a means of avoiding most meaningful work around the house, I'm hardly one to comment. But observing from afar, one gets the impression that DH gets old stuff because he knows it will break and thus giving him an excuse to fix it.