Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thursday's report on office project


I am on my third day of the office project. I did not think to take a before picture of the book shelf, but here is the after picture. I am donating nearly 20 books to the library. The ones I am keeping I truly love or need for the information. The book shelves were Day 1. I would like to add a couple fun items to the shelves, but that is for another time.

Day 2 was to clean off the desk, which included going through mail, filing and such. No picture of that.

Now I am on Day 3. I have had 14 boxes in the window alcove since we moved. I am looking at each item in each box. This has become an emotional process for me. One box held old letters. I found one my father wrote to a man in Germany after WWII. My father was was trying to sponsor the man to come to the US. It did not materialize, but showed what a caring person he was. Another letter was one I wrote to my father when I was in college to encourage him when my brother was dying. It was 40 years ago, but I still shed tears when I read it.

I am now on 3 of 14 boxes, so it is back to work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your cleaning involves a lot of emotional work too.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've got a great start so far!

alexis said...

ohhhhh, parting with books is SOOO hard. Just hearing about it makes me want to fly over there and go through to take some home. Even though I know it's totally stupid and i'd never make it past the weight restrictions of the airlines!

stef said...

Hee hee. Your bookshelf looks like my bookshelf when I "cleaned" it. I got rid of so many too! But somehow it is still stuffed full of "necessary" ones...
Finding old letters like that is one of the unexpected benefits of cleaning.