Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gardening while the sun shines

Mowing, weeding, tilling, planting, cutting dead stems off flower plants, picking up rocks, babying the small plants that I started from seed. That pretty much sums up the last four days of my life. To expand on that, I mowed the entire lawn, tilled the garden and the area by the deck that needs to have grass seed planted, planted peas, spinach, lettuce. The onions and garlic are already up. From seeds, I am starting three kinds of tomatoes, broccoli, herbs and several kinds of flowers. They have to be transplanted as the grow, but are not ready to be planted outside yet. I dig out rocks from our fields to use in my landscaping. (DH thinks this is really silly, but did admit that if he were retired he might be out there helping me.)

It is encouraging that the daffodil and tulip bulbs that I planted last fall survived and are blooming nicely.

In gardening and landscaping there always are warnings about plants that are invasive, meaning the are very prolific either from seeds or roots spreading. I noticed in my garden that I have many, many plants of dill, cilantro and parsley. I purposely planted the mint outside of the garden for that reason. So, it seems that dill, cilantro and parsley are weeds in the right conditions.

5 comments:

alexis said...

hrm, the closest I came to gardening was when I flattened a bouquet of flowers in my shopping basket at the Albert Heijn (grocery shop). we must even each other out.

Michael Podolny said...

I knew we should have scheduled you for another week out here. Then you would have had to assuage your gardening bug here :)

Gill - UK said...

This post needs photos please

stef said...

For some reason, dill will not grow in my yard. Which is sad because I love dill. I feel so behind! We probably won't plant anything until May! But my Oregeno, Sage and Mint are all back and looking beautiful.

Gloria said...

This coming weekend is the ususal time to plant outside in NM. Hopefully no freezes after that. I got many plants from cabinet lady (see mike's blog) this past weekend which she grew from seed. Tomorrow I will shop for the rest and then plant on Saturday. Now I just have to get Mike and friend to put up the garden shed so I can actually find the garden tools!