Friday, June 26, 2009

Mystery dinner

The Red Hat group I belong to had a mystery dinner and husbands were invited. It was held at the home of an Amish woman. There were 12 things on the menu, but they all had Pennsylvania Dutch labels. At the beginning of the meal each person chose four items for each course. For example, my first course consisted of: roast beef, dressing, coffee and pie. Note - no eating utensils. I smashed my plastic cup and used it to eat with.



For my second course I chose bread, pork chops, mashed potatoes and (thank goodness) a knife.
So did the man next to me.




My third course was buttered noodles, a broccoli salad, a fork and spoon.

For the foodies in my readership, please note the entire menu. Lots of meat and starch.

But as we were leaving I was offered a ride. Aren't we a colorful group. These girls did not have to wear black dresses like the Amish order around us.

5 comments:

stef said...

So cool! What a fun event. I can't wait to visit you guys. September is so far away!

Gloria said...

Not only are the girls colorful - they had their picture taken! I thought the Amish didn't allow that. Do you know what sect they belong to?

Michael Podolny said...

So the 12 items included the utensils?

alexis said...

lol, that is a great way to get home. What a cool dinner, though I guess the utensils not being included was something of a surprise :)

Bernice said...

The Amish were of a different order than the ones around us. They were ok with us taking the picture.

Yes, the twelve included the utensils.