Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Usual activities "in the sticks"

I have been working in the yard all day every day that I can. Since I am the primary gardener in the family, I have difficulty getting caught up in the Spring. I have met a neighbor who loves to garden and has a beautiful yard. The other day when I was walking I stopped to say hi and she gave me a tour. One thing led to another and yesterday she gave me starts for about 10 perennials (mostly sedium). So this morning I planted them. It is getting up to 87 degrees today, so I planted and mowed until noon. She also was quite encouraging in telling me that I should not think I will get it all done in a year or two. It is an ongoing project. I am trying to look at it that way so that I can enjoy it as I do it. There are no before pictures, because it would be embarrassing (ie weeds). I will post after pictures after everything starts growing.

I may be the primary gardener, but Gerry keeps the equipment running and does the difficult jobs I cannot. I had mowed along the road, but could not mow some grass for fear I would fall into the ditch. So he came with the sickle mower and big tractor. He was going to mow some tall weeds for the neighbor also, but did not know there was an open ditch in the midst of the weeds and the tractor front wheel fell in. But never fear, he figured out a way to jack the tractor up, put boards under the wheel and backed it out.

Here is small tractor to the rescue of the big tractor, bringing the jack and boards. Gerry is never nonplussed. He just looks at it and figures out a solution. I am amazed.

4 comments:

greta said...

He's such a catch! :-)

alexis said...

that is totally Gerry - very awesome :)

stef said...

That is an attitude I wish I could have more often.

Michael Podolny said...

If I did half the things you two accomplish in a regular day, I'd have to take two days to recuperate :)