Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sweet peaches

It has been hot here, so I have not been doing outside work. The temp has been nearly 90 for a few days. Today I baked two peach pies (from fresh peaches from a local grower). G even commented on how great the flavor was. I also made 15 half pint jars of freezer peach jam.

My other project has been to edit drawers in the filing cabinet. G asked me how I decided what to keep. I told him that if I can find the info on line I toss the paper. But if it is a card or letter from him or my children I save it. I would guess one half is being tossed. Sure makes me feel good. But this is only the first drawer. There are seven more to go. I think I started on the most difficult one so this is progress. I would be thrilled if I could actually remove one filing cabinet from my office. We'll see if that is possible.

4 comments:

Gill - UK said...

What is freezer peach jam?

You should end up with one filing cabinet if you can throw at the current rate. I find the problem with sorting is that I start to read the contents which slows me down and then I find it hard to part with memories. I would need a lot of self discipline for such a task.

Bernice said...

Gill,
There is a recipe in the Sure-Jell fruit pectin for freezing the jam instead of cooking it. After crushing the fruit, adding sugar, you cook a bit of water with the pectin and stir it into the fruit. Then put in a jar and freeze. So easy to make and tastes really fresh.

alexis said...

omg - I also want to clear out my filing cabinet! We are int'l file cabinet cleaning buddies!

stef said...

7 drawers!!!! I love the idea of freezer jam. does it require the same sterilization as regular? how long does it keep after defrosting?