Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things we are to love from China

Is it just me, or at holiday times are we bombarded with useless things we are are expected to love to use or to decorate our space? This was made abundantly clear last night at our British car club Christmas party. For entertainment we each were asked to bring a gift that was something we really did not want. DH received a ceramic pot for making hot chocolate. Once all the ingredients are in the pot, it has a stirrer that is battery powered. I received two kits to make needle point on a plastic background. (For a moment I thought of saving if for K, my granddaughter, to do when she is 10. But judging from what she is doing at 3, she will much rather be riding a motorcycle.)

I plan to use this observation when I am editing all my Christmas decorations before putting them in storage again. I hope no reader has a pot like I mentioned above and is offended.

Today I am grateful for: The joy pets bring to my life, i.e. a Physics cat named Phi who is curled up on my lap as I type this.

2 comments:

alexis said...

it's much better not to get any gifts than get the weird just. Edible gifts, when in doubt, are the way to go.

Michael Podolny said...

If there is a better capsule description of one of the major reasons why the economy has tanked - an economy built on acquiring such goods is it.