Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Wearing Out the Cabinet doors

Years ago I encouraged my children to put their dirty dishes directly into the dishwasher. Someone, probably my son, said the would wear out the door to be opening it for each item. The door actually did wear out and DH had to repair it. This brings me to a current situation.

DH has been complaining that the dishes are stored in the cupboard that is on an outside wall, so are cold when food is placed on them. So a couple weeks ago he and I moved them to the opposite wall. Now it looks like I am doing a dance in the kitchen as I go to a cupboard, open the door, then close it and spin around to go to the other side of the kitchen for what I really wanted. Old habits die hard. But I am not worried, because DH is really talented at repairing things so if hinges wear out I am ok.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember this incident well. Some people in the family (I may have been the only person in this faction) felt that dishes should not be stacked in the sink, but immediately placed in the dishwasher. Dad said that would wear out the door, and he would only put things in the dishwasher once a day, although I was allowed to do it more often. I did so, and the door soon broke.
However, neatness still trumps in my world, and when we finally have a dishwasher at our house, I will be putting things in immediately after use.

Anonymous said...

We're part of the neat - put dishes in the dishwasher after using them group. I don't remember ever wearing out a dishwasher door. We do have a major problem with cabinet doors. Apparently when our's were installed they used hinges from a bad batch. The plastic used in them was inferior, so they just keep breaking. Luckily a friend of Micheal's is a cabinet store owner and got us a box of about 100 hinges - so I can replace them as they break!

alexis said...

wow, I wonder how many of my rented flats have had hinges on the verge of wearing out!!