Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gardening Seminars

Last Saturday and today I attended gardening seminars. Last week I learned all about blueberries. There are various size plants and they actually are quite attractive as a landscape shrub. The key is planting them correctly and then covering them with a net if you don't want to donate all the berries to the birds. We have a really nice "pick your own" farm near here. I think I spent at least $75 there last year. So, if I can pick the best spot here, I may plant some. It will take a few years for them to have enough berries for us.

Today the class was on starting your own plants from seeds. About the only equipment one really needs is a grow light. Fortunately I have two. Years ago DH put two grow lights on a bookshelf that I have and I had house plants under it. I quit using it because the houseplants had grown too tall for the space between the shelves. The instructor actually shared seeds with us and gave us some great web sites. As I left the nursery after the seminar, it looked like Christmas outside with the snow falling. Guess I have a little time for planning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for blueberry picking! My grandfather had a great little spot at his camp that he was super proud of - great memories...

alexis said...

oh man, I love blueberries and the picking thereof.

stef said...

Ah. I have no grow lights so I better stick to seedlings instead of seeds I guess.