Friday, February 6, 2009

Thinking Spring, a bit early I will admit

We have made it through the week with no more snow - some cold nights (minus 4) but no more show blowing for me. It should melt a lot this weekend when it will be in the 40's . I have started shopping for seeds for my garden. This year: no viney stuff like squash or zucchini because they take too much room. DH helped put a fence around the garden to keep out critters and I must plant within that. I will have more peas, and good green beans. The climbing beans last year were not flavorful at all. DH remembers "ground cherries" from his childhood so I am looking for seeds for them. Recently I cooked with the canned green chilies and they had no flavor, so I want to plant some, which I will either can or freeze. Do any of you have a suggestion for a kind that has average kick to it?

Today was "Hair day", which means color, highlights and cut. All for $45. I just cannot believe the money I save living in the sticks. But I probably make up for it by spending on gas since I have to drive at least 20 miles for any serious shopping. At the Motorcycle show DH tried to talk me into getting a scooter, which gets 60 MPG. I keep saying I just want a four wheel vehicle to drive in the woods. He said if I got that he would put a snow blower on it and I could do all the snow removal. Actually not a bad price to pay, I would say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the green chilies are ready I promise to come help roast and peel, if I can take a few home.

Michael Podolny said...

Check with Wife on the varieties she grows but in NM we have Sandia and Big Jim varieties. A popular mild variety from CA is the Anaheim. But chile heat is very much a product of the soil and the growing conditions.

We've planted the same varieties for years with widely varying outcomes of heat. Generally speaking the hotter and drier the year, the hotter the chiles.

Gill - UK said...

Avoid two wheels - unless you're the pillion of course.

alexis said...

how can you possibly not have enough room for stuff out there??

stef said...

Ooo. You are on top of it! of course, I never grow anything from seeds. When do you usually plant vegetable seeds?