Thursday, July 23, 2009

Beans, cherries and trees

So far I have been able to keep ahead of the beans. Usually they get too mature, I pick them anyway, and they taste terrible. I found a recipe to make pickles out of them. Just need some pickling spices and I will make a couple pints. We have had an incredibly dry six weeks, but now it is to rain almost every day for the next week. Yea!! There will be hope for the tomatoes, peppers and herbs. That is all I have left in the garden. Today I will pick up 10 # of fresh pie cherries, already pitted. Pie cherries are the tart ones. Pitting is not fun. When we lived in Illinois, we had relatives visiting and they helped pit cherries from two trees we had there. Later I looked at the ceiling and there actually was cherry juice on it. So I am happy to get them already pitted.

Last night I met with a man who is an amateur landscaper, but very passionate about the topic. He still works full time, but sells a few shrubs, trees and perennials from his home. He gave me ideas for lots of types of trees that I can choose from. He is knowledgeable on how to prepare the soil and how to plant the trees. He said it is more important how you plant the trees that what kind you plant. I am working on the plan now so I (should say we) can get them planted this Fall, which is the best time of the year to plant.

2 comments:

stef said...

Oh that's so cool you found someone to help you landscape! Our yard is a mere fraction of yours of course, but I am so, so happy with what we did last year. (I keep forgetting to post pics!) It makes such a difference to have a crafted and thoughtful outdoor space.

Anonymous said...

I remember those cherry-pitting stains. In my memory, they were on our ceiling for years. I'm glad you don't have to subject yourself to that anymore. I pitted eating cherries for a cake recently, and that was trouble enough.