Saturday, July 25, 2009

Christmas in July and stories about my son

This Friday through Sunday, G is attending a Vintage Motorcycle show/race at MidOhio, which is a race track about 1 1/2 hours from here. So I socialized on my own. Last night friends from Illinois visited. I made dinner and we spend a relaxed evening looking at my gardens, sitting on the deck and watching a DVD of the Continental Divide trip. This afternoon I went to a "Christmas in July" party. Apparentely this is a popular thing on July 25th. It was at the home of next door neighbors at our previous house. I had a long talk with their oldest son, who is a couple years younger that Shawn. He told me stories of things they did that I was not aware of. He said Shawn understood that when you poured gas on a long stream on the ground and lit one end, you should not be too close to the end. Also, Shawn had made some kind of machine ( if you could call it that) that was to sterilize creek water using solar power. They all drank it. No one got sick, but it really did not get very warm. He also said they climbed on top every building on our property.

My memory of the neighbor boys was this. One night Shawn had a friend over to stay night. I awoke and heard the neighbor boy's voices in his room. Apparently Shawn had thrown a rope out the window and they had climbed up. It was on the second floor. G said there probably are a lot more things I do not know about what they did. I am sure that is true.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

I can't wait until Bryce pays me back for everything I did when I was young. :) I'll be posting a story exactly like this one in about 30 years.

Anonymous said...

And our barn was REALLY tall, maybe three stories?

For the record, I was not in on any of this.

Gill - UK said...

Ignorance is bliss - it's just as well you don't know about all of the escapades, unless there is a time lapse of a decade or so.

stef said...

i think my parents have pretty much heard all of our awful stories by now. But then, we are a pretty extraverted family.