Monday, October 12, 2009

Serious Composting



Cold weather is coming fast. There always are tasks to be done that would be much more fun doing in warm weather. When we modified our deck, we had several pieces of treated lumber left over. Gerry used some to build a compost container for me. I have just been throwing compost raw material in a pile. It is difficult to turn it over which is necessary for good composting. Yesterday, he built a four section compost frame for me. You start with raw materials in one section and when it starts to rot down, move it to the next section and put new stuff in the first. By the end is is wonderful "black gold" as good compost is called by gardeners.



The tricky part was moving it from where we built it to the garden. It was quite heavy. Gerry managed to get in on a trailer and we moved it that way. My job now is to shred what I already have and get it shoveled into the frame.

We spoke with a neighbor who is a really serous garner. She actually goes out on the road after the Amish horses have gone by and picks up the manure they leave on the road. I don't think I will be fighting her for that!


4 comments:

stef said...

LOL on the horse poo! That is some serious composting.

de-I said...

Wow that's taking the composting up several notches. I wonder what will happen when Wife reads this.

alexis said...

I wish people would do that here. the police ride horses all the time and the poo is everywhere

Gill - UK said...

I'm very impressed with the compost bin arrangement - you'll be improving the quality of your garden soil in no time. But don't underestimate the value of horse manure - it is almost perfect when composted - lots of websites give you the knowhow. And you just need to acquire a bucket and shovel kept specially for the purpose - one bonus is the exercise you get walking down the drive to scoop up the freebies.